First, I have to say THANK YOU for all your kind and encouraging comments, regarding my participation in the BSW (Big Summer Win) contest over at Lil’ Scrappers. I am having a blast, and am surprising myself – I work pretty well under pressure! lol I posted a slide show yesterday of the 8 monochromatic cards I made, which won me a spot in round 4, with 4 other (extremely talented) ladies. I was shocked, to be honest. The other participants’ cards were so gorgeous!
Anyway, on to today’s tutorial – I’ve been asked a few questions about the techniques I used on these cards, so thought I’d provide some details -some mini tutorials, if you will.
First, just some general comments about what I found worked well on monochromatic cards. If you look at my cards – there are lots of layers, and texture. The key is to play with different techniques, and products – like embossing (wet or dry – used my Cuttlebug a LOT!), painting, inking, stamping, flocking, Stickles, textured cardstock, laser cut paper, brads, eyelets, chipboard, flowers, ribbon, buttons, rhinestones, etc…all that FUN and YUMMY stuff! Pick a colour, and pull out a bunch of pp, cs, and embellishments in that colour family, and just create! 😀
First, the “happy 4U” orange card:
I made this one for the technique challenge. I started with a Technique Tuesday chipboard Technique Tile, which comes unfinished but pre-cut in the framed hearts shape. It comes in 12×12 sheets that look like this:
I used Ranger Distress Inks – in 2 different colours – fired brick and dried marigold. I smeared some ink directly from the ink pad on to my Ranger Craft sheet – one colour at a time, starting with orange (dried marigold). I then sprayed the craft sheet with water, and took the technique tile, and inked it up by “plopping and rubbing” (a very technical term lol) – in the watered-down ink. Then, I dried it with my heat gun. I then did the same thing with the red (fired brick) ink. Then, I spritzed the inked tile with water, and took a paintbrush and brushed on some pigment powder in copper, and let it dry. Then, I attached the frame to a card base, layering with patterned paper (SU), a Heidi Swapp flower, a large button, and some embroidery floss. I made the butterflies with my Martha Stewart punch, and added some bling. I covered the chipboard flower with the same pp, and added a button and some embroidery floss. I had the “happy” chipboard sentiment in my stash – no idea whose it is, sorry. the “u” is a Heidi Swapp ghost letter, and the “4” is Basic Grey chipboard. The ribbon was in my stash, too.
For my other “technique” card, I did some sewing, ribbon weaving, and beading:
Now, if I can just remember how I made this one lol. This one was pretty labour-intensive. First, I used my Coluzzle to make the circle card, (out of Bazzill Bling cardstock) and then used my scalloped scizzors to make the scalloped edge. I made another circle, larger than the card base, and scalloped it, as well. I then added rub-ons around the edge, and doodled with a white gel pen. I then adhered it to the back of the card base. I hand stitched the beads (bundles of 3 seed beads) to the larger circle. I adhered patterned paper (SEI) – to the front of the card (cut in a circle with my coluzzle) – then added eyelets around the edge of the front of the card, and wove ribbon through the holes. I made the larger butterfly with my Cuttlebug, and the smaller ones are punched with my Martha Stewart punch. The swirly bling is by Prima. The ghost heart is by Heidi Swapp – I painted the edge with white acrylic paint. The sentiment, bff – was a rubon, that I highlighted with a white gel pen.
I think that about does it for the 2 “technique” cards. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask!
I also wanted to mention that this month’s reveal for Scrappin’ by Design was delayed due to Sheila’s move, combined with my busy schedule (lol). I can tell you that this month’s product line is extra-super YUMMY! Here’s a sneak peek:
Thanks for stopping by!