How I Did That – Part 2

As promised, I am going to share some details of the techniques I used to create my monochromatic cards for the BSW Challenge over at Lil’ Scrappers.

Today’s tutorial is about how to make funky SHAPED cards.  Our challenge, for the contest, was to create 2 shaped cards (they could NOT be circles or squares/rectangles).  So, my first one is a chocolate cupcake!  🙂

I started by making the card base – which I made from Kraft cardstock.  I started with a 6×6 square base.  Then, using a plate, U traced a half circle on the top half of the card, and cut it out with scalloped scissors.  then, I tapered the bottom section to resemble a cupcake.  Next, I traced the basic shape of the card, and cut that shape out of dark brown Bazzill non-textured cardstock.  Then, using my Scor-pal, I scored vertical lines in the bottom section, and highlighted them with metallic paint (dry brush technique). 

For the top “icing” section, I ran a darker brown piece of non-textured cardstock through my Cuttlebug, using the “swiss dots” embossing folder.  Then I stamped swirls with versamark ink, and embossed with clear embossing powder.  I highlighted some areas and added some dots with my copper Stickles.  Then I added some bubble-like embellishments (Dollarama), and a line of copper brads across the bottom of the icing.  I adhered the icing to the card with pop dots.  Then, I added the ribbon.  I made the sentiment from a chipboard flower, which I covered in dimensional adhesive to give it shine.  Then I added the “hey” sentiment, using AC Thickers, and the “cupcake” sentiment was made with bling letters that I got at M’s.  I finished by sewing around the outside edge of the bottom portion.

For my other shape, I chose my favourite owl image.  This stamp is so cute!  I just scanned a stamped image, and enlarged it, then printed it on grey textured, white-cored cardstock.

Then, I printed it again (twice) – once on the same cardstock for the card base, and another time on the same cardstock for the first layer.   I used kind of a paper-tole technique.  I cut out one of the owl images, and flocked his wings, and then adhered it to the card base, but didn’t put any adhesive on his wings so they would kind of wing forward.  Then, for the final layer, I cut out the own body only (excluding his wings).  I then sanded it, and outlined the outside edge, eyes, beak, and feet with dimensional glaze, and let it dry overnight.

I inked the card base with black soot Ranger distress ink – darker around the edge, and then lighter (less ink) – towards the centre.  I layered the owl with the flocked wings first, and then used pop dots for the top layer.  I added the ribbon embellishment (to make it look like a branch), the large black brads, and the sentiment.  VOILA!  lol

That’s about all for  now…feel free to ask any questions about any of my tutorials or projects!  Thanks for stopping by!

P.S. – I’m working on my next reveal for Scrappin’ Great Deals – should be able to post it within the next day or two!  🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: