Happy New Year!!!!!
It’s hard for me to believe that a whole year has passed. It’s 2012 already. Time flies. I know that’s a total cliche, but it’s so true. I feel so reflective at this time of year. I find myself asking questions about where I’ve been, where I am, and where I’m going. I don’t have the answers this year, either. lol
I feel like I’ve taken enough art journaling courses to be an expert by now! Seriously, I have learned so much in the last 2-3 years about this art form, that I feel an obligation to give back somehow. I have found inspiration from so many fabulous artists! While I still feel like I can continue growing and learning as an art journalist, I also think that I have grown so much! When I look back at some of my first pages, sometimes I chuckle to myself. On the other hand, it’s therapeutic to look at those early pages. The thoughts and feelings associated with each page come back to me in an instant! The fact that this very therapeutic artform also helps me to improve my artistic skills, is just a bonus, in my opinion.
Why do I love art journaling so much? That’s a good question. Let’s see what kind of a list I can come up with.
- No pressure to create anything pretty. It’s all about the process.
- An opportunity to try different techniques.
- An opportunity to try different mediums.
- An opportunity to mix mediums and techniques.
- An expression of feelings/thoughts through images.
- Helps me grow as an artist.
- I get to use up my art supply stash!
- A method of recording memories (esp travel journal).
- I never seem to get bored, because I have different journals for different mediums and techniques.
- All of the above.
I think I’ll stop at 10. There are more, but there’s some overlap, so I will expand on each of the above 10 points in future blog posts.
Why do you art journal? Why don’t you art journal? I’d love to hear from you. Leave me a comment….please? lol. I love comments.