Adventures Down Under

So, it’s been an adventure. And we just arrived in the Land of Oz yesterday. I am typing this in a Word doc because internet access at our hotel costs $25.00 a day! I digress already.
For those of you who follow me on Facebook, you will know what we had some *difficulties* getting here. First off, we drove through a blizzard on Sunday to get to Toronto. It took us almost 4 hours to make a 2 hour drive. Then, we were way too early for our flight, so we had a long wait from about 9 pm until 1:30 a.m., when our flight was scheduled to leave. We expected an announcement about a delay, but nothing came, until 15 minutes before our flight was to depart. Then, they announced that a delay due to weather conditions. But, it didn’t seem that the delay was going to be too bad, as we boarded our plane only 30 minutes late. But, not so fast….we sat on the runway until 5 am! After de-icing, we finally took off for our 15 hour flight to Hong Kong. We already knew that we were going to miss our connecting flight to Sydney, because we only had a 3 hour layover in Hong Kong. But, it turns out that the flight crew can only work so many hours in a row, so they couldn’t fly all the way to Hong Kong without changing flight crews. So, we landed in Seoul, Korea for a flight crew change. That wasn’t too bad…we stayed on the plane, and were only on the ground for about an hour.

So, after 20+ hours on that plane, we landed in HK and were told that we would depart HK at 7 p.m. (I am not even
sure what day it was at this point, but you are getting the idea). WE had 5 hours to kill, but they gave us a hotel room right in the airport, so we got a short snooze and a shower (with no luggage – we were assured that our luggage would arrive with us in Sydney). So, after the 9 hour flight to Sydney…you probably figured out by now that our luggage did not arrive with us. And, we had nothing in our carry-on, except our cameras (no chargers), and a few magazines, laptop, that’s about it. We arrived in Sydney at about 7 a.m. yesterday (Wednesday maybe? Yah today’s Thursday here). Steve went for a wander and bought some essentials, and I slept for a couple of hours. We had pre-booked a bus tour of Sydney starting at 2:00, so we hopped on the bus anyway, in our airplane clothes and a camera with no charger. After the tour, we were hopeful that our luggage would be in our room when we returned, but, nope. WE went to bed without dinner, and slept for almost 12 hours!

WE had another full day tour today – beautiful trip to the Blue Mountains and the Jenolan Caves. A really long day , though…left at 7 a.m., and returned home at 7 p.m….to our LUGGAGE! YAY. Things are definitely looking up. I took lots of photos and video today, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to post anything for a few days. We leave Sydney tomorrow in a rental car to drive down the coast to Jervis Bay for the weekend, where I will be taking an art class with Orly Avineri, at the home of Tracy Verdugo! I’m excited about that. Yep, things are definitely looking up. (Or is that DOWNunder?)


3 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Tricia
    Jan 12, 2014 @ 10:59:22

    Oh dear Kim. Seems like quite an interesting journey you are on!!! Thank goodness your luggage has arrived…I know how you must have been feeling!
    Hope your journey from now on goes smoothly and that you enjoy your art class.
    Looking forward to hearing about it. Good luck……


  2. Denise Spillane
    Jan 12, 2014 @ 12:58:00

    What a wonderful trip


  3. Mary Warren
    Jan 13, 2014 @ 12:43:50

    Certainly an adventure you will never forget! Looking forward to MORE!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: